Hiatus

It has been a long hiatus since I posted anything here. These last few months have been extremely full, with travel to Australia, organizing a conference, the death of a friend and health issues. I am back though, as much for my own benefit as anything, as I think I am missing the discipline of writing. This fullness of experience is leaving me with an unprocessed fullness of mind. I am flitting, chopping and unfocused, none of which do me or others any good.

In order to regain some equilibrium I picked up my well worn copy of Annie Dillard's 'Pilgrim at Tinker Creek' as this week, at long last, we are finally tasting the reemergence of the world as Spring is finally arriving. We have lain blanketed by snow with frigid weather for months and as I am enjoying rediscovering the earth underneath  I thought I would turn to Annie. This is what I read -
 "And it all works. Nature," said Thoreau in his journal, "is mythical and mystical always, and spends her whole genius on the least work."  The Creator, I would add, churns out the intricate texture of least works that is the world with a spendthrift genius and an extravagance of care. This is the point."
This made me so happy and now that I have a toehold back into the ground I am writing, inspired again.
the ground re-emerging
our  blanketed world

Comments

Popular Posts