Time is the great equalizer of all things. We each get the same length of time each day, and each day has the same number of hours. Second, by minute, by hour, by day, by month, by year, time does not change according to our whim. Some days feel like they drag, they stretch out as we procrastinate or wait for something longed for. The week before a child’s birthday or the month before Christmas to a child can feel like eternity. For the adult, though, the month before Christmas whizzes by as we find our preparations never nearly have enough hours. The older I get, I am finding that the years are starting to fly by as I hover with my pen, forgetting what to write on the check and marveling that I need to write a different year, yet again. Sometimes I even forget my age. But no matter how I experience it, a minute is still a minute.

But why is it that the computer and my microwave give me the greatest experience of impatience? A minute in the microwave is an eternity, and waiting for the laptop to fire up has me frustrated in 3 seconds. I guess time can be unreasonable, because of course it isn’t me that’s the problem. Thanks to Einstein maybe we can just chalk it up to all being relative.

At the end of the day, I have to remember that patience is a virtue and to turn again to the one who is infinitely patient with me and ask him for his help to be patient and to trust him while waiting. He is at work even if we don’t see it and his timing is perfect.

Comments

Popular Posts