The Natural History of the Chicken.

I am fond of my chickens it must be said. I worry though about becoming like the people in the documentary, the Natural History of the Chicken. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxO91TLKVg
My chickens as gawky 5 week old teenagers just before being kicked outside. I guess I do look a little crazy.
The chicken owners in this film are more than a little crazy and I keep reminding myself that I would not let them wear diapers (nappies) and live inside. They did have to start life inside in February as it is freezing in Minnesota outside, they need high heat for the first 6 weeks, and as I got them as day olds they have imprinted with me. Now a year later they are out and the temp is -20C (-10F) this morning, (dont worry, they have a heat lamp). Yes they do like to be held and patted for a bit and they are silky smooth, but they are not cuddly and some of their charm lies in how dumb they behave.

What I do like is how delicious their eggs are, they are even laying through the winter. I also like how attractive these heritage breeds are and how they break down all my fall leaves and turn it into fantastic compost. They have much to recommend them, and they are fun to own, but I will never resuscitate them with mouth to mouth as the lady does in the movie. http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/the-natural-history-of-the-chicken/


Comments

Anonymous said…
I have to say I love my dog but I would not give him mouth to mouth! I know where that mouth has been! Hope you and the chickens are all staying warm. :-) Erika
IntrepidfromOz said…
Dear Erika,
My dogs would often give a furtive lick on the mouth if in range and it was definitely discouraged. Thankfully they were not slobbery. It is hard for me to imagine giving mouth to mouth to anyone but Jock.

Popular Posts